Wednesday, April 17, 2013

TWITTER'VIEW WITH AUTHOR DAVID DUNWOODY



The Harvest Cycle synopsis

It has been fifty years since the first harvest. Hideous creatures, lethal and lightning-fast, were sewn into the beds of Earth's ocean eons ago. Now, every year, in service to a mad god, they rise from the depths and hunt humans.

Man hides underground in fear of the Harvesters. But he is also sought by other predators: the robots that were for years his companions are now driven to exterminate him in a warped mission of mercy. 

In a race against time, a group of humans cross the United States in a desperate plot to destroy the Harvesters before the next cycle. As if psychotic robots, lobotomized cops and flesh-eating nomads weren't enough of a challenge, they may just invoke the wrath of the ancient god itself.....





Let's begin the @daviddunwoody #TWITTER'VIEW #Author of #DarkFiction #TheHarvestCycle #MustRead


Dragonheart: Welcome David! Thank you for joining me tonight!

David: Thanks for chatting with me Debby.


Dragonheart: You're most welcome. Tell us about your current project please.

David: My latest novel, THE HARVEST CYCLE is a post-apoc story blending elements of Lovecraftian horror and  robot-fueled sci-fi.


Dragonheart: Interesting! What sparked the idea for this project?

David: A nightmare from probably 5-6 years back where I was trapped in a high-rise hotel room, watching as gargoyle-like creatures raced through the streets attacking people. Then I saw one perched on the roof, clicking its claws. That quiet moment was what stuck with me and got me thinking about a story.


Dragonheart: How do you choose your book covers?

David: Permuted Press is great about involving authors in the process. I got to jam with artist Robert Elrod for a perfect cover.


Dragonheart: How do you choose character names?

David: Often times they reference people in my life or fellow authors/artists, but more often than that it's a random process where a name pops into my head while outlining that just sounds "right".


Dragonheart: Music seems to influence a lot of authors, what music influences you?

David: Sometimes I pick music to inspire and fit the mood I want (usually horror film scores or rock) and other times it's, again just what feels "right" when I'm in the zone. During a recent novel I had Cyndi Lauper on repeat, which in no way fits the tone of this horrific story, but for some reason having that music in the background kept the engine running.


Dragonheart: Cyndi Lauper, interesting choice. How do you handle "writers block"?

David: For me the best thing is walk away. Burn off the restless energy doing something else creative like painting. If I try to force the words it never works out. Reading's another great way to relax the brain while keeping the imagination at work.


Dragonheart: Who has been your greatest influence?

David: Barker, Lovecraft & King in terms of style and themes, but overall I have to say writer/director David Cronenburg. The guy's a true visionary and his philosophy of horror as a genre of confrontation rather than escapism resonates with me a lot.


Dragonheart: Do you have or have you ever had a muse?

David: I think so, in certain capacities - the people who really inspire me are those in your life who encourage what you're doing even if it's not their thing (and believe me, flesh-eating and dying words are not a "thing" for most of my loved ones.


Dragonheart: That support is wonderful. What one subject is TABOO in your writing?

David: Something I'm trying to work at is intimacy (not necessarily physical). Highly dysfunctional relationships are so much more accessible & authentic to me, which says a lot about my life too. So I'm working at understanding both on and off the page.


Dragonheart: What do you do when you aren't writing?

David: Read, mostly. Well, if I'm honest, YouTube. But also reading and painting, badly. The mind never shuts up.


Dragonheart: If there was a book you wish you'd written, which would it be?

David: King's IT. Such a perfect Lovecraftian-without-being-too-Lovecraftian epic, and the best book about being a kid I've ever read. 


Dragonheart: King is one of my faves! What is your greatest passion?

David: Boring answer, but it's writing. Consciously or unconsciously, I think we all must choose a purpose & this is what I chose. 


Dragonheart: Thank you and all authors for making that choice. What one word best describes you?

David: Verbose


Dragonheart: If you could change places with one of your characters, would you? Which one and why?

David: Boy, I don't know that I would - very few of them are in enviable positions. If I had to choose one I think it would be the Woman in White from EMPIRE'S END. She was once Death, and left her post to live on her own terms. She's very much at peace with who she is and what she can and can't do. Probably one of the most sane characters I've ever written.


Dragonheart: Is there one, current TV show, that is "can't miss" with you?

David: BREAKING BAD. If I die before the finale, put me in a vault. Because I'm coming back. Or just bury me with a TV.


Dragonheart: Money is no object, where do you go?

David: There are islands in the Mediterranean with unusual old architecture, (as in the film ANTHROPOPHAGUS), and some of these islands have fishing villages which appear to be ruled by feral kittens. I would like to drop in there, although I'd likely be eaten.


Dragonheart: Hopefully not! Tell us the first two books on your TBR list.

David: It's a long list and at the top right now are S.S. Michaels' REVIVAL HOUSE and Well's THE INVISIBLE MAN.


Dragonheart: Tell us one thing we may not know about you.

David: My first novel, EMPIRE, has two editions. I love both but the first cover has a special place in my heart. And a few years back I bought the original drawing from the French artist and have it framed right next to my desk.


Dragonheart: Awesome! What do you want to be when you grow up?

David: A great writer! Given enough time I may come close to "good." I'd like to die in my sleep with my best-ever work half finished.


Dragonheart: Final Question, Of the 7 Deadly Sins, which one have you committed most recently?

David: It's a constant neck-and-neck race between sloth and gluttony, but the latter wins today as I shoveled 3 slices of pizza into my face right before the interview. Brain food, y'know.


Dragonheart: Yes, it's been proven, pizza is a brain food. Thank you for joining me tonight David, it's been a pleasure.

David: Thank you Debby! This was a really fun way to do an interview.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and views are always welcome.