Tuesday, April 9, 2013

TWITTER'VIEW WITH AUTHOR NINIE HAMMON



The Last Safe Place: synopsis

In the deepest, darkest, midnight of her soul, Gabriella writes a book, a horror story about demons...and then one of them crawls up out of the pages and confronts her face to face. A deranged, fanatical fan who believes he is the Beast of Babylon from her novel, turns up at a book signing and then comes after her to claim his bride. And to sacrifice her son, Ty, as an offering to their unholy union.

Gabriella, Ty and Ty's grandfather, Theo--the crusty old stand-up comic called Slap Yo Mama Carmichael--run for their lives, back to the only place in Gabriella's life where she ever felt safe. But once there, she discovers that facing the demons from her past may be harder and more dangerous than facing the one who hunts her. 

As Ty and Theo battle their own, personal monsters, Gabriella begins to fall for a man who carries a guilt she can't even begin to imagine.

The predator who stalks Gabriella and her family tracks them down and corners his prey as a full moon rides high in the night sky and lightning explodes on the mountaintop. Then all their lives and demons collide in a final, apocalyptic celebration of one man's madness. Gabriella's only hope lies in the unexplainable power of a 2,000 year-old-tree. Is it strong enough to save them? Can a single, perfect bristlecone pine somehow determine the fate of them all? 



Let's begin with the @NinieHammon #TWITTER'VIEW #Author of #Thriller #Suspense #TheLastSafePlace


Dragonheart: Thank you for joining me! How are you this evening?

Ninie: If I were any better, Debby, I'd be twins. That's what my granny used to say, and no, it never made sense to me, either.

Dragonheart: LOL! I like that. Tell us about your current project.
Ninie: The Last Safe Place is my 7th book, out 4/1/13. Story of novelist, psychotic fan. Here's the summary..http://ow.ly/iBz1j


Dragonheart: You know I loved it! What sparked the idea for this project?

Ninie: Bristlecone pine forest at 12,000 feet on Mt. Princeton, Colorado Rockies. Some trees 4,000 years old, alive when Jesus walked.

Dragonheart: Amazing! How do you choose your book covers?

Ninie: Penguin-Putnam gave me 0 input on cover 4 1st book. Now, pub ask ideas, sends proofs, I work w/designer back & 4th til love it.

Dragonheart: How do you choose character names?

Ninie: 1 of many pre-writing lists. I select boy/girl names from the era/region so I can grab 1 when I need it & not grind to a halt.

Dragonheart: Music seems to influence a lot of writers, what music influences you?

Ninie: None. When 9e's writing U must be vewry, vewry quiet. Husband tiptoes like Cat Burglar, pretends he likes Sports Center on mute.

Dragonheart: LOL How do you handle "writer's block"?

Ninie: 25 yrs as journalist-story HAD 2 be done on deadline. Period! Get writer's block & ur collecting unemployment. So I never got it.

Dragonheart: Wow. Who has been your greatest influence?

Ninie: Stephen King.(KING) Dean Koontz (5 bks a yr!) Robert McCammon. IT Watchers Swan Song Element of "unexplainable" in them all.

Dragonheart: Some of my fave authors. Love Swan Song! Do you have or have you ever had a muse?

Ninie: California Raisins"..heard it through the Grapevine, dada, dada,.." Hardees gave them away in the  '70's, all 4 on my desk ever since.

Dragonheart: I remember. What one subject is TABOO in your writing?

Ninie: Not TABOO, but don't use obscenity. Gritty, earthy stories, pain, ugliness--and NO READER ever commented characters didn't curse.

Dragonheart: What do you do when you aren't writing?

Ninie: Supposed 2 be time when U don't write? Nobody told me that part! Why...I think I'll...I don't know--nap, maybe. Or roast an eel. I'm a compulsive decorator. Nesting instinct on steroids. I'd paint a motel room! Kids never stood still--afraid I'd wallpaper 'em. 

Dragonheart: HA HA HA! If there was a book you wish you'd written, which would it be?

Ninie: Lord of the Rings. Read 16 times in college--made mark on the back cover each time. Then cover fell off. Read DOZENS of times after that. 

Dragonheart: Amazing! What is your greatest passion?

Ninie: Sounds cheesy, but it's writing. When I close my eyes and that movie starts...woohoo! Hold on to your shorts Mildred, here we go!

Dragonheart: What ONE word best describes you?

Ninie: 1 word?
Funlovinggregariousloudcreativehappywaaaaytoomuchenergycreativetalkativeextrovertcreativesmilingplayfulfunnycreative.

Dragonheart: :-) If you could change places with one of your characters, would you? Which one and why?

Ninie: I think I'd like to be Jamie Sparrow in Black Sunshine. It'd be cool to carve statues of people I've never met and the future.

Dragonheart: Is the one current, TV show, that is can't miss with you?

Ninie: Hop around England/Wales/Scotland/Scandanavia & US like frog on lily pads. Get interested in show & then gone again. Wait, "Justified." Technical director of the show was coal mining expert for my novel Black Sunshine set in Harlan County, Ky.

Dragonheart: Love me some Raylan! Money is no object, where do you go?

Ninie: NOWHERE! All I do is travel! Spent golden years floating belly-up in a puddle of jet lag. Home. Cheetos. Vat of British yogurt. Ahh!!

Dragonheart: :-) Tell us, please, the first two books on your TBR list.

Ninie: I'm the only writer in the America that hasn't read Stephen King's On Writing. That #1. #2 is read all on top 100 Suspense Books list.

Dragonheart: Tell us one thing we may not know about you.

Ninie: U could follow me thru my life along a trail of my lost possessions. Hats. Gloves. Earrings. Passport! Record 4 Sunglasses..3 days.

Dragonheart: Oh no! What do you want to be when you grow up?

Ninie: I have no intention of growing up. Criteria 4 decisions is 2 ask, "What would I do if I didn't know how old I was?" Then do it.

Dragonheart: Love it! Final question. Of the 7 Deadly Sins, which one have you committed most recently?

Ninie: Uh...could we talk about butterflies? I like butterflies! Or daisies? Or...Ok. (Sigh) SIN I just got a speeding ticket--wrath!

Dragonheart: Ut oh! Thank you so much for taking the time to join me tonight Ninie. It's been an honor and a pleasure. 

Ninie: The pleasure's been all mine. I enjoyed it!























No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and views are always welcome.